Saturday, July 31, 2010

Beach


So, I'm kicking back and relaxing here on the beach looking for something to read. I exhausted my magazine stash before we evern arrived at the hotel, so my choices were few. After the disaster that was Wuthering Heights, I was not too keen on reading another romance, but I wasn't about to do my (still unfinished) summer reading work at the beach, so I settled down with The Last Song, by Nicholas Sparks.

My mom was surprised that I was even attracted to this book at all. I'm usually into the classics, mostly the wordy, hefty ones that pack a wollop along with it's textbook buddies when you swing your backpack around a crowded hallway. However, I thought it would make a good beach read because 1) setting in the book: beach, and 2) it doesn't require much brain power. And I really wanted to see the movie, because Miley Cyrus is pretty cool. Mom thought Nicholas Sparks was too chick-lit for me, but I was already aware of it's girliterature status from the get-go (see Miley Cyrus' face on the cover).

All in all, it was pretty good. It was a solid, emotional novel, about one young woman's coming of age journey over the course of a summer, and also explored themes like love, betrayal, forgiveness, loyalty, trust, and pain. It was a really cute story, and I regret not going to see the movie in theaters. I'm interested to see how Miley portrayed the main character, Ronnie Miller, through her eventful summer. From this novel, I can understand why Nicholas Sparks is a popular author for women, though I did find the ending a little drawn out. I'm not going to rush out and buy Dear John or A Walk to Remember or anything, but if I'm ever in need of a tear-jerking romance ever again, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment