Wednesday, April 9, 2014

College Fashion Post Link Up: Fashion Inspired by The 100

I've decided that I've complained to you all enough about my cripplingly busy current state and little-to-no drive to complicate that business any further, and yet, here I am again, ready to complain about how cripplingly busy I am. I'll try to rein it in.

When struck in the middle of said business last week, I realized I had to turn in a College Fashion article by the end of it. (Cue the "Oh, sh*t, I've got a job to do" music.)

Scrambling for inspiration, I decided to pursue my best possible option: utilize a viewing party for one for some bad teen television as a means of productivity. As I was eating my feelings through a bowl of Lucky Charms and pondering whether I'd rather bury myself in an abandoned bunker or run away to a life spent living on the rails, as a future career option, now that any writing chops I had have obviously gone into their recessive mode, inspiration struck me like an overly-dramatic and overly-hyped commercial for a new teen series that had just premiered on the CW. The 100, by Kass Morgan, was thus chosen as my new project!

The book itself, was actually pretty enjoyable. Well-written, with an engaging and new premise, focusing on the inner relationships of teens instead of the astoundingly high-stakes peril they're in (as these things are wont to do), The 100 was an interesting and engaging new teen sci-fi release. It definitely had its problems, of course: multiple POVs with essentially the same voice throughout, the rather astoundingly terrifying contrast between excellent leadership skills and jaw-droppingly horrendous decision-making that shattered all believability for one of the main characters, etc. But overall, I can say it was pretty good.

(Not so much for the television series, which warranted its own mini-viewing party between me and one of my roommates... but I'm pretty sure I'm going to make that the subject of its own blog post, so you're just going to have to wait for that.)

At any rate, it was the subject of my latest College Fashion article, and I'm actually pleased with the results (for at least two of the characters... I just couldn't get Clarke's to look right!). Here, for your viewing temptation, is the outfit chosen to represent one of the main characters of the novel, Bellamy:


Remember to head over to College Fashion and like/comment on my "Looks from Books" column

No comments:

Post a Comment