Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Happy READ ACROSS AMERICA Day!


Real quick check-in, to wish all of you a very happy "Read Across America" Day! 

"Read Across America" is an annual effort on behalf of the National Education Association, celebrated on the birthday of Dr. Seuss (Ted Geisel). According to the official "Read Across America" website, the event is "an annual reading motivation and awareness program," which provides resources and activities for NEA "members, parents, caregivers, and children" to continue reading the whole year 'round. The day is celebrated by influential community members, from politicians to celebrities to school administrators, and the children in their communities, as a means of encouraging readership!

Of course, I'm getting involved, even as a college student, because - duh! - reading is just the best, but also, because Dr. Seuss is one of my personal bookish heroes (My laptop background is even a Dr. Seuss quote!).

Today, to celebrate, I'm reading a book from one of my favorite authors, whom I originally started reading in middle school, Tamora Pierce. 

Popular with the fantasy fans I know and love, Tamora Pierce's Tortall books have been among my young adult favorites for a long time; in particular, I've always been drawn to the perseverance and bravery of Keladry of Mindelan, in the Protector of the Small series. However, I've chosen instead to read one of the first Tamora Pierce books I'd ever gotten my hands on, back in 2006: Terrier, from the Beka Cooper series, to celebrate this special day.

I would recommend Tamora Pierce's books to every young reader I know, especially those getting into middle grade reading, because of her smart and intelligent young heroines, immersive fantasy environment, strong characters, and enthralling adventures. And even though they feature female lead characters, I know plenty of boys who've enjoyed them, too! Everyone can appreciate a good sword fighting scene, right?

So, before I turn back to my book, I'd like to leave you with some words of wisdom from Seuss himself: "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go!" Remember to pick up a book today, and appreciate those educators, parents, caregivers, and more, who helped grow your love of reading! 

What book are you reading today? What book would you recommend to young readers? Let me know, in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment