Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Wonders

"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!

There are certain things, places, people, and feelings every book-lover holds in their heart - from the physical cracking that accompanies starting that hardcover best-seller you've been wanting to read, to the goodbye you give when you finish the last title in a beloved series - and while we talk about all these books we love all the time, maybe it's time to give you a better indicator of how much we care about the practice of reading, too.

Here's my list of top ten favorite bookish wonders that come with being such a fan of reading! 


1. Old Book Smell
It's nearly a guarantee that this item will be on everyone's lists today, so might as well mention it first. There's equally great things to be said about new book smell, too, but there isn't that connotation of mystery and history that comes from smelling an old copy.

2. When Your Favorite Bookstore is Empty
Imagine how boundless my life would be, if everytime I entered a bookstore, it was completely empty? Of course, it would probably denote something terrible in the way of popular literacy, or, you know, a zombie invasion, but at least my search for wanted titles would be unencumbered by those people who just camp out in the middle of shelf aisles.

3. The Classic Combo: A Rainy Afternoon, A Comfy Chair, and a Cup of Tea
Also a general fan favorite, this kind of a sweet setup just can't get more cozy. Thank goodness I live in Seattle.

4. Forgetting What You've Pre-Ordered
It's like a little present in the middle of your week, from you, to you! Thanks, Past Savannah!

5. The Maps Just Inside the Covers of Fantasy Novels
I, for one, suck at spacial visualization, so no matter how many directions or physical landmarks you use in dialogue or description, the charactes might as well be wandering around Australia for all I know. Plus, they're just so pretty!

6. Hidden Designs Under Dust Jackets
Speaking of pretty, I love it when designers leave a little bit of a surprise for those of us who want to get at the book from every angle. I typically keep dust jackets on hardbound copies, because I like the look, but there's always that sense of mystery until you see what's going on under the covers.

7. Hanging Out with Your Bookish Besties
I deeply thank the people in my life who allow me to pepper them with random bookish knowledge in which they have no interest and find no value, just for the sake of letting me talk... but also shout out to the awesome people who know what's the dealio! Callie's always happy to let me ramble (and vice versa!), my Internet friends keep me up to date on the latest news, the women who work the book checkout lines at Barnes and Noble, Powell's, and Amazon are incredibly sweet and knowledgeable,  and that one elderly dude librarian at Kobetich who likes to gossip with me about YA fantasy... you are all gifts.

8. Finding Out You and an Author Have Something in Common
Not to brag or anything, but Frank Herbert (Dune) grew up in my hometown, my Dad has hung out with Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles), and Felicia Day and I have the same dream superpower (the ability to speak all languages)! Authors... they're just like us!

9. When the Book Mentions Food 
I know I'm not the only one who gets a certain way when a character begins describing the spread set out in front of them (here's to you, Hogwarts Great Hall). There are just some books that never cease to inspire me to go grocery shopping!

10. Showing Off Your Perfectly-Arranged Shelves
And, of course, there's no way to get a bookish buddy talking like asking them about their organization system. I dare you to ask the next nerd you encounter how exactly they structure what goes on what shelf, and they will spend the next ten minutes describing it to you minutely.


In fact, tell me how you organize your shelves, in the comments below!
What's in YOUR Top Ten? 

1 comment:

  1. So for #2, I thought you meant empty of BOOKS. XD And I was going to say "wait that's a nightmare!" ahhaah. XD AHEM. But I agree! Browsing in peace is lovely. :) And duuuude, YES to the book mentioning food. That is like my top favourite thing in books. Foodie fiction!! (I mean, the negative is getting super hungry and feeling like devouring book pages. But eh. We must make sacrifices for excellent books.)

    And also #10. MUCH LOVE. I love my colour-coded bookshelves. <3 I would so totally ramble to someone about my organisation methods too haha. ;D

    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete