Saturday, July 8, 2017

JUNE FAVES

I get it, okay? I get it. Summer is all too brief, and incredibly precious, so I can't keep mentioning how fast the months are going by, specifically when June seems to be the quickest one of the bunch so far this year. I know. Okay?

ButJunewasjustsoshort.

From watching my siblings finish up their last few days of school, to excitedly watching my friends graduate college, to winding down the month with back-to-back camping trips, tackling summer library challenges with my brother, and celebrating Seattle Pride - and my sister's new girlfriend! - this entire month has been a blast and a half.

Can you really blame me for taking a few days to wrap it all up like this?

But, as we have with every month, we've seen a lot of News. And we've seen a lot of Things. Here are some of my faves from June!



Of course, the collective Book Universe and outer offshoot populations of humanity celebrated the 20th Anniversary of Harry Potter this past month. In the midst of the think-piece and Buzzfeed quiz madness, all I was really struck by was a sense of extreme nostalgia, one I think my Dad - who read us the books as kids - felt a lot more than he let on.

If there's anything that got Book Universe talking more than the Harry Potter anniversary this month, it might just be John Green, who released the title for his upcoming YA book, Turtles All the Way Down. 

2017 has been a big year for looking back on the history of dystopian fiction, and this past June 27th was no different. The day marks the events of iconic short story "The Lottery," from equally iconic author Shirley Jackson, and the significance of the systematic cruelty present in that tale has not lessened over time.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a fan favorite Austenian novel, must be in want of an Emmy-award-winning transmedia webseries. Happy 5th Anniversary to the Lizzie Bennet Diaries! Have you been following along with the rewatch on Instagram?

Ever get tired of those clickbait-y type articles that tell you about everything you're messing up, from shampooing your hair, to meditation? No? Well, this will make you happy: The Cut has compiled a list of everything women are supposedly doing wrong! 

And of course, the Tony Awards took place this past June, too! While I'm still a little steamed that Great Comet didn't win the accolades it deserved, it's hard to be mad when Ben Platt's just the cutest. A competitive year with some surprise winners, here's a great breakdown, courtesy of NPR, of the evening's events. 




Speaking of Dear Evan Hansen at the Tony's, the Dear Evan Hansen cast performance of "Waving Through a Window" rocked me so hard that I had downloaded it on iTunes the morning following the broadcast, and have been listening to it ever since.

I am an addict to self-help anything, but rarely does any of that information stick in a meaningful way. It's just so difficult to deliberately maximize your happiness... this video on "Ways to Maximize Misery," on the other hand, immediately finds its mark.

I've already spoken about my recent obsession with the podcast Into the Twilight, as well as my plans for reading through the series, starting this summer. Well, I can tell you this: not only am I finally through the first 13 episodes, but I also finished rereading Twilight, and have already passed it on to my brother! I'm so excited for this summer challenge to continue, and see what my other siblings have to say about it. (I, myself, will have a little more to say on the topic soon enough, too!)

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but it's worth bringing up again: being a part of Bachelor Nation is not for the faint of heart. Not only am I fervently following Rachel's season of The Bachelorette, but I've recently become enamored with several sets of commentary on the subject. A standout: the Ellen Show Bachelor Recap webseries, ran by producers of the talk show, who are also Bach-superfans!

It honestly isn't summer if my family isn't deeply embroiled in the latest installment of Food Network Star. While we haven't selected an agreed-upon favorite to win this season, I'm a huge holdover fan of Jason's from his victory on Holiday Baking Championship.

I've got to say, my mom and I don't agree on a lot... but when we do, those obsessions roll hard. Case in point: a deep and fervent love of the alt-rock band, The Killers, which resurfaced once more upon the release of their new single this month. While the rest of the album won't drop until September, you can bet I'll be blasting "The Man" until then.

After that information, you'd probably find it difficult to guess what other quirks my mom and I have in common... and "a complete fascination with E!'s Hollywood Medium, Tyler Henry" would probably not be at the top of your list. The show is enthralling, emotionally moving, and way too incredible to describe briefly... so you'll have to wait for my review of Henry's book, coming to the blog soon!

I'm not a huge poetry person, but "I'll Call You (a poem)," from a fave bullet journaling YouTuber and Tumblr queen Cheyenne Barton, really struck a chord. Maybe it's Barton's recent relocation to a city I love, or the familiar feeling of infinite potential stuck within finite space, but it was just the kind of thing I needed to listen to on a June Gloom afternoon.


And because I'm a little late this month... here's one last thing that has been inspiring me recently.


What kind of a start is your summer off to? What sorts of News and Things have you been enjoying? Let me know, in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment